Book Review: Deschooling Society

Continuing the discussion from:

https://hyperlink.academy/blog/deschooling-society

3 Likes

Hi Brendan!

I just recently discovered Ivan Illich and its so interesting to discover that people were trying to change society for the better from an educational perspective. I’m really curious about this P2P learning thing, although online can be easy to mix and match, I do believe that the real power comes when we bring P2P learning (webs) to the real world. As such I was surprised that some people started to organize things in libraries. Now I just have to find such a place nearby but also topics that interest me. But I guess I would be also interested on a meta level, so spreading the Idea of online/offline P2P-learning.
I think many problem we do have today come from the fact that too many people are entrenched into their corners may that be from a professional or culutural/idiological perspective.
But change is not impossible, starting incrementally, which in my opioion P2P-learning setups do actually favor, is a good idea.

1 Like

Hey, welcome and thanks for the reply here! Yeah, it’s fascinating seeing the radical pedagogical theories that have been around for many decades, and we’re finally approaching the point where some of these visions are become more possible with the internet, p2p networks, etc.

I the possibilities here are super interesting both on- and offline; we’re starting with online both because it’s quicker to experiment / get rapid feedback, and easier to scale (not to mention other challenges of in-person things these days), but some really interesting work with similar offline learning groups with organizations like P2PU.

The new learning clubs thing we’re experimenting with I think has the potential to generate some cool things on themore interconnected web / learning network side of things, which we’re excited about. If you have ideas for clubs you’d love to see (or lead!) we’d love to hear em :slight_smile:

I have been keeping a Journal for some years now and and since two years I’m trying to convert it into a zettelkasten. What is your broader vision connecting learning clubs?
Where do you see differences and similarities between wikis-wikipedia, Slack, discord, and other forms of online communities?

I mean I see a huge potential for learning clubs or P2P learning in general , but also especially in the web3 space which, if you ask me is a kind of wasteland regarding knowledge and learning.

Just recently the Akasha project and also commons stack where looking for new community manager positoins. And I’m often asking myself is a community manager really the best way to speak with the community?

I think dynamic feedback processes like learning clubs are needed to make evolution and flexibility at both sides possible. Developers and community people. Better understanding.

I do really like what I see in the broader sense-making community which applies cognitive science to help people to understand them better each other. Techniques like circling come to mind.

I think I would be interested in creating a learning circle but I think to get started a really small scope could help. First of all where are the learning clubs? Are your current “courses” the available Learning clubs?

2 Likes

Another community I’m connected to is the futureofcoding.org community. So its interesting to see you offering here a course on the racket pollen system. I was wondering how it could be possible to create a learning course or some material here and still embed it easily in other communities.

1 Like

Great questions!

Initial vision here is a counterpart to “courses” — in some ways a lightweight alternative, but also a potential precursor, space for quicker experimentation and looser goals.

We’re still thinking of them as serious learning-focused things, and facilitated / structured, just less deterministic, more emergent peer-driven exploration.

Excited to get the first round of Clubs launched soon and see how these actually work out! Also agree there’s a lot of interesting space to explore with connections between different communities, courses, clubs, etc., definitely something we want to consider further.

I think these are all potentially useful tools for learning communities, and different communities will likely have their preferred modes of communication / knowledge-sharing, and probably use multiple of these. For example it’s important to us to support both synchronous (e.g. video calls) and asynchronous (e.g. forum discussion) interactions, and chat tooling could be interesting to explore further as well.

It looks like the blog links are 404’ing – I’d love to read the book reviews if they can be brought back up!

edit: it’s here! https://hyperlink.academy/library/deschooling-society

Maybe make a redirect record for /blog to /library so that people’s hyperlinks stay alive? ;-D

2 Likes

If someone like @celine or someone else would do a Design club, I’d join. Is there a place where we can post and vote on club ideas? I may have missed that.

1 Like

Thanks for catching Max! Yeah recently changed from blog to “library” :slight_smile: :books: Jared just set up a redirect for this.

Not yet, but definitely thinking about it! I think an idea board for sharing & following early stage course / club proposals would be very cool. Will see if we can work on that in the coming months. For now, can you say a bit more re: what kind of design-focused club you’d be into?

1 Like

Yes, idea board sounds like a good plan.

It might be a bit overambitious but I was thinking along the lines of what you’re doing with @colingorrie for languages but for design. I’ve been wanting to learn it at proper uni level for a while from scratch and with led projects on the software. The online video courses seem (so far) inadequate and a bit boring bc of the lack of live interaction. I haven’t found any university offered ones that are levelled and structured like a BA would be. It would be nice to have a full programme.

1 Like