RFC (request for course) cinema/film studies

Cinema (and literature) discussions can be very social learning processes. I know nothing about it. Would love someone to run a course sometime on film!

@brendan et al, would be interesting if there was a way to annotate timestamps to discuss clips from a given film asynchronously. Not sure what platform would host the films, maybe a custom chrome extension on top of Kanopy… too bad the film industry is so copyright protective…

Maybe a video file, acquired somehow, could be hosted on a server and students would request “clips” from it by timestamp, and a sparse timeline of clips would be built up as people discuss moments.

3 Likes

Yeah this is a cool idea! I was a film studies major (along w/ art) in undergrad and it could definitely be fun to think about what angles might be interesting for a film course on Hyperlink :slight_smile:

Also could be a “watching club” on some kind of specific film, canon, oeuvre…

One idea @jinjinsun and I thought about earlier was like a “Criterion Club”, watching a subset of Criterion films — they have various collections (e.g. Spy Games; Memory on Film; Happily Every After) and could watch several with a one month subscription which is like $10.

Just checking Kanopy and seems it’s not even available for NYC libraries, dang.

Another idea…kinda jank but YouTube has a good number of movies for rental, and even some good ones (like Contact and Terminator) available “free with ads” — not ideal for general cinema experience but might be nice for easy timestamp references and accessibility.

1 Like

In terms of low cost/free, there’s also Hoopla and of course old stuff in archive.org. And Vimeo short films :0. Netflix and Prime Video are probably the most common collections people have.

1 Like

Oh yeah Vimeo could be good too, depending what aspects of cinema you wanted to get into, would be fun to explore shorts but also feels very different than watching features.

Ubuweb I think would be another good one for more experimental / art film stuff: https://www.ubuweb.com/film/index.html

I feel like I’d have more fun watching narrative features together, but perhaps really fun browsing all kinds of eclectic shorter stuff and discovering interesting stuff to talk about. Any aspects you’re most interested in, like storytelling, visual language, broad overview or certain types of films?

Any and all of those! Personally the more esoteric/philosophical/technical aspects appeal to me most; stuff that can’t be grokked.

1 Like

Hello. I did a little search and found a couple of apps/browser extensions that allow for video annotating. Two that look pretty good are annotate.tv and reclipped.com.

I’m interested in cinema studies too, I was also a film studies major in college and regret that I didn’t take more “studies” classes since I was very focused on doing all the production in a non production heavy program. A while ago I was thinking about making a public access tv show “The Public Domain Movie Hour” that showed a feature length movie from archive.org with some discussion before and after by me and my spouse or someone. I’m too camera shy and was too busy at the time so it didn’t work out but I’ve been thinking about doing it as a hyperlink club… there’s a lot of good ones on the Film Noir section. I have also been thinking about a media watching club around Catholicism in media, stuff like A Nun’s Story, Viridiana, Nazarin, The New/Young Pope, Silence, etc. With that you run into the copyright/where to watch issue though…

I like this stuff but I’m not sure how great I’d be at facilitating an analysis/discussion based course, I’m more of a doing/process person. I’d be open to collaborating with anyone on ideas or themes for this kind of course or club!

ALso I like the Criterion idea, since they also have a lot of “DVD extras” usually to go with their films, there’s some extra textual stuff already to get conversations going

1 Like

Thanks Graciela, those look like great resources!

Love that, seems like a fun format. Might be cool to try an experiment w/ that format in Hyperspace once we’ve got that ready to test (soon!) Like watch + take notes together and then have a live chat after. And “best movies from archive.org” would be a nice collection to get going (not sure if ppl have curated that kind of list already, idk where to start…big appeal of e.g. Criterion is trusting their curation!)